Saturday, January 16, 2010

Libby's Post

Hey, Everyone--

This'll be quick, I promise! In fact, I'll use a list to make it easier--


IT WAS WONDERFUL to be at Kaylie and LJ's wedding dinner and sealing and reception: the two of you were so happy and just glowed--CONGRATULATIONS again! I know how much it meant to Brittany to have the Oregonians at her wedding, so I do understand how much it meant to have them come again for yours--it's been a banner travel year for them! A strange connection occurred: LJ's mom's cousin is MY cousin, Jolyn Heder! (The look on his face in the sealing room when I mentioned I was related to Jo was priceless. =) She assured me that LJ is as great as Kaylie says he is, and I assured her that Kaylie is as great as LJ says SHE is, so they'll be great together! It's a small world, isn't it?

Attending Nate's and Zach's Missionary Farewells was a wonderful experience. How GRATEFUL I am for the example they are setting for their younger cousins, and for the people in their ward. They are AMAZING young men, and I know their mission locations will be well-served. Some of you know that Zach will be in my parent's mission in Ecuador--I'm excited to have that extra link in place, and know that my parents are looking forward to getting to know another Hancock and serve with him! Steve and Lynette: after the past few month's milestones, it is EXTREMELY clear that you are wonderful parents and have reared your children "in righteousness"...you both also serve as humble but exemplary examples of parenting to all of us. Thank you for all you've done and do.

My aircast came off and a strong brace went on December 22, 2009--it was great to wear BOTH shoes for a change, although there are only two pairs that have enough "give" to handle the extra space that the brace takes up. By the time school started, I was pronounced "able to walk without it" so that's what I've been doing for the past two weeks. On Mondays my ankle looks and feels pretty good, but by the end of the day--and week, especially--it's not so great. I guess this is just one of those things that I'll be dealing with forever--at least in this life. Movement in my ankle is okay, though not at 100%, and may never be--I don't know about physical therapy yet; my last appointment is supposed to be February 2nd. Maybe we'll get some money from Worker's Comp to make up for the lifetime "loss" of full movement (Dad's idea)?
School has been crazy. Most of you know Dave didn't get the director position: a management company run by a former businessman (he's been in Charter Schools for 5 years) got the job. As he is the current f/t principal for his own school, he won't even be at ours more than once a week or so, which raises other questions. Mr. Muhlestein (new director) has spent one week--parts of it, really--at our school and has done the following: cut one f/t teacher to p/t; cut one f/t teacher to 1/4 time; fired the entire counseling dept. and the librarian; moved one teacher to 1/2 time teaching and made him an asst. principal; moved Dave to 3/4 teaching and 1/4 time administration duty (with no prep); moved me to 1/2 time teaching and 1/2 time administration; and we'll probably find out about more changes on Tuesday. Dave doesn't know yet what his 1/4 time admin duties are; I have been asked to handle communication within/out the school, public relations/marketing, and recruiting, as well as be a "sounding board" to the new director. (He said that's because he gets the impression that I'm not afraid to say what I think, and he's right--what he doesn't know is that I'm so frustrated I simply don't care if what I say gets me fired or not. [This attitude does concern Dave, so I just don't tell him ahead of time what I'm going to say--or to whom it will be said.] Along with all the other teachers, I'm thoroughly fed up with the lack of communication, honesty, and integrity within administration--not to mention ridiculous financial decisions--so I'm really just say what everyone else is thinking.) I'm a little overwhelmed by what I think Mr. M wants me to do, but as Dave said, at least we have jobs through May. We should be able to get our official licenses (level 1) by then, and if we lose our jobs, we'll be able to look at "real" school districts, so that's good.
Dave gets to teach a Chess class as an elective, and also a Creative Writing (grades 10-12) so he's happy with those. James is in the Chess club and class and excited about his improvements as he plays. Isaac is now playing chess as well: he knows which way each piece can move, and plays with Katie and his Dad and really enjoys the game. (Dave is happy he finally has James and Isaac to play at home, although the level of competition isn't very high.=)
Dave was just released from YM and is now a co-teacher of Isaac's Primary class; I'm still doing the Ward Choir Director and Sacrament Chorister callings. We both start attending school again, Wednesday nights, beginning on January 20, 2010: the class will go through May, and then we'll still have one more to take in the summer.

Audrey was just asked to serve on the Stake Youth Council with 12 others; she'll be helping plan TREK for the 1300 youth in our stake. She's okay with the job, but annoyed that everyone thinks she'll be going, as she doesn't plan to: she went with our stake in CA and needs to work and/or attend school somewhere this summer...we'll see. She was just asked to join the high school's Madrigals, so she's excited about that, and is considering trying out for the drama dept.'s musical this semester, too--wow!

Isaac said just last week that he still misses our "real home" (in California), and so do I. Katie still misses her friends there as much as I miss mine, but everyone else seems settled in well enough, and thoroughly enjoy seeing their cousins more often than in the past.
Sorry that wasn't exactly short, but at least it's finally IN!

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment