Wednesday, January 26, 2011

When It Rains It Pours - Thank Goodness for "Tender Mercies"

Hi Family,

January's been a rough month for us. To start off the month, I was let go from Barnes & Noble. I have applied for upward of 25 jobs since then, and even had a couple of interviews, but so far nothing has come up. In the mean time, I am spreading the word that I teach piano. I've had two kids for a few months now, and LOVE teaching. I've added one student so far, and am scheduled to meet with a lady about two of her kids the first week of February. I figure if I end up adding enough students to my schedule I won't have to worry about finding a "real" job. That's not to say that if I happen to get a job offer and my piano schedule hasn't filled up, I won't take it - I most certainly will.

The second week of the month brought me an infection. Go figure that this would happen the week after I lost my health insurance. We'll probably have to pay for the doctor appointment, but at least the bill won't come until after Jason gets paid. Thankfully, the Lord stepped in and the pharmacist gave us a huge discount on my prescriptions, so I have them and am feeling much better!

Our car stopped working during the third week of the month. Our one and only car. Yuck. I guess that's what I get for being frustrated about having only one car (it was part of the reason I lost my job). I got mad at the situation and, even though I did TRY to see the positive side of having one car, I guess I needed some humbling. That being said, I consider it a blessing that [1] the car died while I was at my piano student's home, so I had help trying to figure out what was wrong with the car AND was fed dinner while I waited for the tow truck (I love that family!), [2] towing the car didn't cost us a penny, because we had just signed up for a free AutoVantage trial (meaning to cancel before we got charged but after they sent us the free GPS promised) and towing is free for the first 150 miles (coincidence??? I think not...), [3] our home teacher is good with cars and his wife works for an auto dealer and got us a discount on the part we needed (the part will arrive in a few days... cross your fingers for us!!!), and [4] Jason is able to carpool to work most of the time and my in-laws let us borrow their truck for the other stuff.

Aside from the obstacles that presented themselves, this month has also brought some good things. The first? 70 degree weather!!! It is sunny and green in California already, and I LOVE it. =) It has inspired me to fill some of the new time I have now running more. I'm itching to do another Ragnar Relay, but I'll train in the mean time. I have also used my new-found time to finish a sewing project, clean the fish tank, de-clutter the bedroom, AND, most importantly, read the scriptures with my husband. We've taken our Primary's challenge to heart, and we are reading at least 3 minutes EVERY day (we have a cute little hour glass that keeps time for us and a set of 12 goal cards with boxes to color in for each day we read).

Speaking of the Primary, I was just moved from CTR 5 to CTR 7. I'll be working with the kids I taught two years ago. Part of me is excited because I'll get to watch these kids get baptized this year. The other part of me is worried, because this group of kids was a hand-full two years ago and they haven't changed. I fell in love with this year's CTR 5 group fast, and I'm sad I don't get to keep teaching them, but I'm going to try and feel the same love for the CTR 7 kids. There's got to be some way to get them to be reverent. I just have to find it. Any ideas???

Before I end, I should also probably tell you that I got released as ward organist, and that school started back this month. That's all for now. We love you bunches and are super excited about the family reunion this summer. =D

Love,
Brittany & Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment